Re: [address@hidden: Re: Free Software Logo -> Where does FSF go?]

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [address@hidden: Re: Free Software Logo -> Where does FSF go?]
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 07:56:55 -0800

On 2020-11-01 4:22 a.m., Jean Louis wrote:

> If copyright would be abolished completely all software would be free
> and people would not argue. Everybody would be friendly to each other
> and sharing useful benefits.

This is not at all true. Non-free software happens primarily by sharing
only binaries and not sharing the source code. Next, it happens via EULA
and other contracts that do not rely on copyright law.

In order to legally require software to be free, we'd need more than
copyright and patent abolitions. We'd also need *mandatory* source
release for all *published* works (i.e. to convey the source along with
any time anyone is given access to software otherwise). And we'd need a
prohibition on DRM and similar technical obstacles to software freedom.
And we'd need to ban contracts that block software freedom.