Re: A challenge for community to go beyond what's already rule

From: Fosshost
Subject: Re: A challenge for community to go beyond what's already rule
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 17:58:58 +0000

   Hi Jean
   Nope, we are not that specific, we provide hosting to free open source
   software projects and associated groups, which may do good for the
   community.  It is not 100% GNU or "libre" and I would be doing you a
   disservice if I said it was.
   I was merely raising that in the case where hardware is unaffordable,
   we provide, at best, a service that has helped more than 80 projects to
   date.  Nearly all of those projects are free software, open-source, or
   "free".  We position ourselves really as supporting the open-source
   ecosystem.
   We accept projects that are using an OSI-license, our eligibility is
   almost identical to that of OSUOSL.org, except we are the UK / European
   version without the university affiliation.
   Thanks, Thomas
   On Friday, November 20, 2020 17:46 GMT, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
   wrote:

     * Fosshost <admin@fosshost.org> [2020-11-20 20:25]:
     > Thought it may be helpful at this stage for me to give my 2 cents.
     > run a project called fosshost.org and our service has been
     designed
     > with those in mind from underrepresented groups across society.
     This
     > means where individuals do not have the funds or means to be able
     > purchase hardware, we can provide it to them virtually, at no
     > cost. Clearly this still requires some kind of device to “connect”
     > and “manage” the service we provision, but I believe it is less of
     > an ask. One use case could simply be that they have a very old
     > device with a poor and outdated spec but it’s still strong enough
     > connect to a remote system. Won’t apply in every case but it’s one
     > of the things we are doing here at fosshost.org and we are
     growing!
     Hello Thomas,
     That is great idea and initiative. I have visited the site only that
     did not find the projects that are specifically hosted there. Are
     those listed projects all hosted there? For example for Guix I was
     thinking it is on GNU servers.
     One thing I am not sure what you mean with open source, do you mean
     free software? Is there a policy of hosting actually free software
     only?
     Is there any policy that will say that free software that is not
     exclusively made to control non-free software should not be hosted
     there? For example in Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre we avoid such
     software
     that may be free itself but may pull or demand non-free software.
     For example Debian non-free repository is open source but is
     non-free
     software, it should be clear from the name of repository.
     I am researching and I wish to know which hosting provider to
     recommend to other people when switching from Github for example.
     Vague terminology for me is:
     Open
     https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Open
     Other free software hosting providers I have in the list are
     following:
     GNU Project
     https://www.gnu.org
     Savannah, the software forge for people committed to free software
     https://savannah.gnu.org
     Savannah on nongnu.org
     https//savannah.nongnu.org
     Codeberg.org (Germany)
     https://codeberg.org
     Sourcehut.org
     https://sourcehut.org
     Trisquel GNU/Linux-libre Git Repositories
     https://devel.trisquel.info/groups/trisquel
     Pagure
     https://pagure.io/pagure
     Fosshost
     https://fosshost.org/
     If somebody has more hyperlinks please tell me that I may update my
     list.
     Jean