Re: Adobe Reader 10

From: Matt Ivie
Subject: Re: Adobe Reader 10
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:43:08 -0700

On Wed, 2021-03-17 at 09:08 -0400, John Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-03-17 at 07:57 -0400, Greg Knittl wrote:
> > Evince won't handle it. Any suggestions for how to process on
> > Linux?
> Evince does have some support for filling in fillable forms, but
> lacks
> some advanced features. In general Okular, the KDE document viewer,
> is
> more capable of advanced PDF features such as PDF annotations and
> even
> digital signatures. I suggest giving that a try even if you don't use
> KDE.
>
> If it's not a fillable form, you'll at least be able to insert text
> boxes and fill those in.
By design, XFA is supposed to give you a screen that talks about how
your PDF reader can't render the document. This makes it unusable for
anyone that can't render XFA being that it DOESN'T degrade gracefully.

Here's a writeup from Wikipedia:

"Most PDF processors do not handle XFA content. When generating a shell
PDF it is recommended to include in the PDF markup a simple one-page
PDF image displaying a warning message (e.g. "To view the full contents
of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer.", "The
full content of this file cannot be displayed with your current PDF
viewer.", "Please wait... If this message is not eventually replaced by
the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to
display this type of document.", etc.). PDF processors that can render
XFA content should either not display the supplied warning page image
or replace it quickly with the dynamic form content."