Re: [Packages - Privacy Issue #3010] (not-a-bug) telegram-desktop: phone

From: quiliro
Subject: Re: [Packages - Privacy Issue #3010] (not-a-bug) telegram-desktop: phone number is released to other telegram users having the phone number in their addressbook
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 09:14:37 -0500

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> More viewpoints to consider for removal of this package from Parabola:
>
> High priority projects for FSF:  Decentralization, federation, and
> self-hosting
> https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/decentralization-federation
>
>  Ways to help
>
>     Self-hosting of services or service nodes allows the individual
>     more control over the security and nature of their information
>     storage and is a social contribution to building networks that
>     serve rather than undermine communities
>
> We are not helping this purpose if we promote centralized network
> named Telegram.
>
> Let us change telegram-desktop to use our own self-hosted
> telegram-server, which is to be renamed, then we shall allow such
> package, otherwise it should not be there. It should be in the
> blacklist.

I like this idea.  But since I am not a programmer, it is not within my
reach.  Nevertheless I can be sure that, rather than having endless
discussions about if it would be convenient or not to ban a certain
software based on what could happen in the future, it is best to make a
test today.  If Telegram makes an attack, it will prove it is bad.  If
Telegram accepts the new federated server, it will become part of its
terms of service.  In both situations, the community wins because we
either get transparency or freedom.