Re: [Packages - Privacy Issue #3010] (not-a-bug) telegram-desktop: phone

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [Packages - Privacy Issue #3010] (not-a-bug) telegram-desktop: phone number is released to other telegram users having the phone number in their addressbook
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 23:23:06 +0300

As this issue is related to free software I am also sending it to
Libreplanet mailing list.

Issue:
https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/3010

More comments on Telegram freedom issues:

- there are several Telegram related packages in Parabola, not just
  one;

- Review terms for API here: https://core.telegram.org/api/terms

Terms dictate that user cannot modify software how user wants, thus
those Terms are in direct contradiction to the GPL3 software, thus I
consider Telegram application non-free as additional terms are
introduced limiting user to modify Telegram how user wish and wants,
and for whatever purpose user wish and want.

Those limitations are following:

- third party clients must comply with following:

- modifier has to observe these Terms of Services which are in
  conflict with the GPL3

- API terms dictate that any modification to Telegram software MUST
  allow connection to other Telegram users, this contradicts GPL3 --
  as for example, I would like to use chat software to contact
  non-Telegram users, which are on different server, with compatible
  API, GPL3 allows me to do so, Telegram does not allow me.

- It is forbidden to interfere with the basic functionality of
  Telegram. This includes but is not limited to: making actions on
  behalf of the user without the user's knowledge and consent,
  preventing self-destructing content from disappearing, preventing
  last seen and online statuses from being displayed correctly,
  tampering with the 'read' statuses of messages (e.g. implementing a
  'ghost mode'), preventing typing statuses from being sent/displayed,
  etc. -- I would like to be chaning these features to something
  different, but I am not allowed. GPL3 allows me, but additional
  Terms apply there which do not allow me, which in effect defeat the
  purpose of the GPL3.

- You must obtain your own api_id for your application. -- I don't
  want, I want software to function without getting API key from
  vendor. I need freedom 0.

- We offer our API free of charge, but your users must be aware of the
  fact that your app uses the Telegram API and is part of the Telegram
  ecosystem. This fact must be featured prominently in the app's
  description in the app stores and in the in-app intro if your app
  has it. -- We do not use "ecosystem" as term. Hypothetically, I do
  not want to tell users that it uses Telegram API and I do not want
  to have application that becomes part of Telegram "ecosystem" and do
  not want to make it prominent. Those are all contradictory terms
  that impact GPL3 freedom 0.

- To avoid confusion, the title of your app must not include the word
  “Telegram”. An exception can be made if the word “Telegram” is
  preceded with the word “Unofficial” in the title. -- So when I
  change it, I should not be naming it that way. But when I change
  XMPP application or IRC, I can still call it XMPP, IRC something.

- You must not use the official Telegram logo for your app. Both the
  Telegram brand and its logo are registered trademarks protected by
  law in almost every country. -- because official Telegram logo is
  included in the telegram-desktop software, this renders software
  non-free. This may be allowed by GPL3, but one may get a feeling of
  intentions of the vendor.

- If you decide to monetize your app, you must clearly mention all the
   methods of monetization that are used in your app in all its app
   store descriptions -- I do not want to clearly mention it, it is in
   the source code that will be available for people to inspect
   it. Those are hypothetical statements to show contradictions with
   freedom zero in GPL3 and Terms of usage of API, that directly
   prevent users to modify software how they wish and want.

- Breach of terms

,----
| 4.1. If your app violates these terms, we will notify the Telegram
| account responsible for the app about the breach of terms.  4.2. If
| you do not update the app to fix the highlighted issues within 10
| days, we will have to discontinue your access to Telegram API and
| contact the app stores about the removal of your apps that are using
| the Telegram API in violation of these terms.
|
| We reserve the right to expand these terms and guidelines as the need
| arises. We will inform client developers of such changes via an in-app
| notification to their accounts connected to the app in question.
`----

That means that contradictory, not GPL3 complying additional terms on
GPL3 are imposed as software will not function how user wish and want
in case that supplementary Terms are not respected.

Additional future proprietary terms are imposed onto GPL3 as Telegram
vendor reserves the right to change the Terms in future how vendor
wish and wants.

Thus Telegram applications are not free as additional limiting terms
are imposed onto users.

More viewpoints to consider for removal of this package from Parabola:

High priority projects for FSF:  Decentralization, federation, and
self-hosting
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/decentralization-federation

 Ways to help

    Self-hosting of services or service nodes allows the individual
    more control over the security and nature of their information
    storage and is a social contribution to building networks that
    serve rather than undermine communities

We are not helping this purpose if we promote centralized network
named Telegram.

Let us change telegram-desktop to use our own self-hosted
telegram-server, which is to be renamed, then we shall allow such
package, otherwise it should not be there. It should be in the
blacklist.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://rms-support-letter.github.io/