Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 00:04:29 +0300

* Michael McMahon <michael@fsf.org> [2021-05-05 23:14]:
> We will look into adding contact information.  The first few paragraphs
> of the main page says that the site is run by the Free Software
> Foundation, but there is room for improvement.
>
> The setting is upstream.  The mediagoblin bug tracker is down.
> https://issues.mediagoblin.org/  I will make an issue once it is back.
> I sent a message on IRC.
>
> These are the two commands I used to find it:
>
> git clone --branch v0.11.0 --depth 1
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/mediagoblin.git
> grep -R 'preload="auto"' mediagoblin/

Yes.

I really liked MediaGoblin and still like it as a service for other
people. But then I realized, that if I wish to upload mostly personal
files it is so much easier describing them on my own computer, without
using browser and then resizing videos and preparing such for Internet
myself, so I do that way since about 5 years.

Unless there are multi users involved, I would be doing it that way,
it spares so much time.

- place videos in the website folder;

- create simple function to describe for each video title,
  description, etc. Even better is placing it in the offline database;

- mark bunch of videos in Emacs Dired, process, prepare for website;

- upload;

- generate bunch of related pages to display it on HTML;

There is much more freedom and flexibility in doing it that
way. Including control.

Imagine now you have 100,000 pages. And you update MediaGoblin, and
all videos start pre-loading. It would cause sudden increase of
expenses for bandwidth with possible loss of visitors. Or something
does not work... all website is down, and webmaster cannot catch up...

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/