Re: Blind user complaining on Adobe web site

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: Re: Blind user complaining on Adobe web site
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 16:42:09 -0400 (EDT)

As a sighted user I don't really feel competent to make a list - as doing so
would be similar to the issues I have with all the various engineering / design
student projects that attempt to create a 'better' wheelchair without ever
really understanding the day to day needs of actually having to live in a
chair...  This usually results in a chair that "solves" whatever they see as a
'problem' but is all but unusable for doing anything else....

That said, what *I* would think important is a screen reader that could read
any text being displayed on the screen as a minimum...

A very useful addition would be some sort of navigation assistant that could
find the menu items on the page and just read those.

A 'nice to have' but probably not realistically possible would be some sort of
AI that could recognize enough graphics to read things like 'photos of text'
and (much harder) do descriptive audio captioning on pictures

My S.O., Mary-Anne has recently become legally blind, she still has some sight
but not a lot.  Her current main machine is a Fruit co. laptop, which I have
set up a 24" monitor to use as a larger display.  As her 'seeing eye person' I
often have to work with her to deal with things like paying bills and
navigating other sites...  In order to see the screen she has to blow up
typical text (like this) to around 24-36 point, and even with a 24" monitor
that results in looking at a site through what amounts to a porthole...  Just
navigating around a banking site is painful due to her needing to constantly be
scrolling around the page.  The fruit co. O/S does have a screen reader but it
either doesn't help much or she hasn't learned enough about how to use it to
best advantage.  (could easily be the latter)

ART

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>