Re: list moderation [was: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: list moderation [was: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 18:45:37 +0300

* quiliro@riseup.net <quiliro@riseup.net> [2021-05-24 18:09]:
> Greg Farough <gregf@fsf.org> writes:
> > On Sat, May 08 2021, Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@croatiafidelis.hr> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi! See below when I sent the message! At the time of
> >> sending it does not appear on:
> >> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2021-05/index.html
> >> I.e. I sent it more than 15 hours ago.
> >
> > We actually manually approve every message that comes through
> > libreplanet-discuss. They won't appear in the archives or on the list
> > until we approve them, hence the delay.
>
> Wow!  This seems a rather laborious and unnecessary task.  Automatic
> functions need to be censored to do what users desire.  Why would users
> need to be censored?  Organizational objectives and peer union are
> enough to control trolls.

It is not bad to manually approve each message.

But then, the resource, like money, food, office, staff that does the
manual approval has to be in place to timely handle messages.

Manual approvial is not necessary censorship. But often it may be
misconstrued as such.

Better than manual approval is moderation where moderator takes care
of discussion topics and directions where discussions should go.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/