Re: Latex freedom issues

From: Caleb Herbert
Subject: Re: Latex freedom issues
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 15:26:39 -0500

On Thu, 2021-06-24 at 20:10 -0500, quiliro@riseup.net wrote:
> I was notified by the Hyperbola GNU developers that Latex will be
> removed.  There is a freedom bug report on:
> https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/972

Somewhere, RMS said "And TeX was free - just barely."  IIRC, the issue
is that you have to change the name of the software to redistribute it,
or something.

Honestly, I will not trust any alleged freedom concerns coming from
Parabola and Hyperbola folks.  Their policies are extremely strict,
more strict than most FSDG distros.  Just look at the your-privacy
package!  They're getting into users' business way too much.

> Would this issue affect other FSF approved distros?

Probably.  I left the FSF-approved ghettos once Python packages were
not repackaged under a free repository, but simply REMOVED.  Honestly,
I'm getting tired of all this.