Can we liberate OSVR?

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Can we liberate OSVR?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 08:23:06 +0000

   Open-Source Virtual Reality ("OSVR") is a project working on an open
   standard, software and hardware for Virtual Reality, see
   [1]https://redirect.invidious.io/watch?v=OdZ9fKw_DGw for their
   promotion video.
   In terms of Hardware OSVR already produced a working VR headset
   OSVR-HDK [2]<https://github.com/OSVR/OSVR-HDK> which license is
   incompatible with GPLv3[email forward from [3]licensing@fsf.org] this
   discussion is about investigating the reasons for this decision and
   what we can do to liberate it.
   I believe that through liberating it the project can substentially
   increase it's networth while giving us a strong platform for VR which
   can be utilized in Free Hardware Designs projects such as relativty
   [4]<https://github.com/relativty/Relativty> to ensure cross-platform
   compatibility and functionality thus this discussion should be about
   why they made the decision for non-free and what can be done about it.
   #1 Economical cost
   OSVR project partnered with Razer to produce the OSVR-HDK development
   kit for 199 USD so they are most likely in a net-loss.
   To work with somewhat realistic figure i estimated that the production
   cost loss should be at around 20K EUR/USD minimum so lets work with
   this figure.
   Q: What can we do on an GPLv3-compatible model to offset this
   economical loss?
   Q: How can we prove to OSVR and Razer that Free Software, Free Hardware
   Designs and Free Firmware are more economical?