Help Chile write free software values, privacy, and digital sovereignty

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: Help Chile write free software values, privacy, and digital sovereignty into their constitution
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 02:14:43 +0000

Dear libreplanet,

Only a few precious days left, but I just saw the following post by Drew DeVault titled "Help Chile write free software values, privacy, and digital sovereignty into their constitution":

https://drewdevault.com/2022/01/19/Help-Chile-promote-digital-freedoms.html

Relevant quotes from the post:

----------

"The Chilean people voted overwhelmingly in favor (80% with a 50% turnout) of rewriting the constitution, a constitutional convention has been assembled, and a call has been made for the Chilean people to re-define their country’s values.

One of the answers to this call arrived in my inbox courtesy of Felix Freeman, a Chilean hacker and activist for free software, free culture, and free knowledge, who asked me to signal boost 'Propuestas constitucionales para Chile en la era de la información', three proposals to establish the following principles in the foundations of Chilean law:

    Access to knowledge
    Technological and digital sovereignty
    Internet privacy

Each of these proposals needs 15,000 Chilean signatures to be proposed at the constitutional convention

Opportunities like this one are vanishingly rare, and need to be taken advantage of before they’re gone. The call for signatures ends on February 1st — act fast!"

Is the FSF aware of initiatives like this?

Even if the proposals don't exactly use 100% of the FSF's language, I agree with the linked post that this is an exceedingly rare opportunity to institutionalise at least some free software values on a national level, and is worth supporting.