Re: Help Chile write free software values, privacy, and digital sovereig

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: Help Chile write free software values, privacy, and digital sovereignty into their constitution
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 02:10:49 +0000

thanks, i posted this to r/linux, my twitter and my mastodon. hopefully
enough people will get involved to assist in this effort

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 02:14:43 +0000
Pen-Yuan Hsing <penyuanhsing@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear libreplanet,
>
> Only a few precious days left, but I just saw the following post by
> Drew DeVault titled "Help Chile write free software values, privacy,
> and digital sovereignty into their constitution":
>
> https://drewdevault.com/2022/01/19/Help-Chile-promote-digital-freedoms.html
>
> Relevant quotes from the post:
>
> ----------
>
> "The Chilean people voted overwhelmingly in favor (80% with a 50%
> turnout) of rewriting the constitution, a constitutional convention
> has been assembled, and a call has been made for the Chilean people
> to re-define their country’s values.
>
> One of the answers to this call arrived in my inbox courtesy of Felix
> Freeman, a Chilean hacker and activist for free software, free
> culture, and free knowledge, who asked me to signal boost 'Propuestas
> constitucionales para Chile en la era de la información', three
> proposals to establish the following principles in the foundations of
> Chilean law:
>
>      Access to knowledge
>      Technological and digital sovereignty
>      Internet privacy
>
> Each of these proposals needs 15,000 Chilean signatures to be
> proposed at the constitutional convention

> Opportunities like this one are vanishingly rare, and need to be
> taken advantage of before they’re gone. The call for signatures ends
> on February 1st — act fast!"
>
> ----------
>
> Is the FSF aware of initiatives like this?
>
> Even if the proposals don't exactly use 100% of the FSF's language, I
> agree with the linked post that this is an exceedingly rare
> opportunity to institutionalise at least some free software values on
> a national level, and is worth supporting.

Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org>
Company Director & Libreboot developer

Do you know you have rights?
The right to privacy, free speech, the right to read
and the right to learn.

Defend freedom. Use free (free as in freedom) software.
Spread freedom. Tell everyone you know about it!
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom.
Registered in England, registration No. 9361826
VAT Registration No. GB202190462
Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island
Essex SS8 9QA, United Kingdom
United Kingdom