Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 17:54:17 +0000

   > Just replacing "software" with "hardware" in the definition of free
   software yields an incoherent result.  Compiling the program's source
   is automatic and easy enough (assuming it has a makefile) that we can
   identify a program with its source code.  We can't identify a physical
   object with the designs of its parts. -- RMS
   I disagree, majority if not all hardware has some form of indexing and
   identification. For example this 3DSimo pcb has silkscreen that
   identifies:
   - Production batch (teal)
   - Link to a source code (green)
   - OSHW logo indicating that it's hardware files are publicly available
   (yellow)
   [cid:part1.8Vv0IxYi.NwID0RnF@rixotstudio.cz]
   to verify that you got what you expect you can cross-reference the part
   against it's documentation and hardware files
   ([1]https://github.com/3dsimo/3dsimo_kit/blob/master/documents/Hardware
   .md) and making an x-ray to verify that the parts are wired as
   expected, see example:
   Automatic X Ray Inspection PCB - Technotronix
   Note that all chips have an identification on them such as this
   raspberry pi microcontroller:
   RP2040 Microcontroller Chip - Raspberry Pi | Mouser
   So that you know exactly what the chip is and can find documentation
   what it does (unless the manufacturer is shady and scrapes that off,
   e.g. apple allegedly).
   And note that same x-raying method can be used for chips as well e.g.
   this is an x-ray of an intel CPU:
   [haswell-labeled.jpg?w=353]
   Or if you need to see exactly how how the chip is wiredl:
   Researchers see inside integrated circuits at high resolution – Physics
   World
   These x-ray machines are widely available commercially and economically
   as chip manufacturers are using them in their Quality Assurance.

--
Jacob Hrbek