Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:07:01 +0000

On 29/01/2022 15:09, Jacob Hrbek wrote:
> It is nice that that exists -- but I am not going to make my own LED bulbs. I don't have the know-how or the time. -- RMS > So I buy commercially made LED bulbs in a store.  Their designs are not free, but I don't see that as an issue _for this kind of hardware_. (See https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-hardware-designs.html for why not.) -- RMS

Why are you dismissing the hardware freedom to everyone else just because you "don't have the time"? For me projects like relativty <https://github.com/relativty/Relativty> that gives me a set of instructions on how to build the VR headset with hardware, software and chasis files that expects that i make everything myself or source the parts myself and to which i can contribute to is perfect and what i want FSF to support.

Note that i do not dismiss your preferred way of getting the LED bulbs, i think it's perfectly acceptable as long as free hardware alternative does not exists, but my argument is that this exact behavior by FSF is what is causing the continuous harm as for people like me who love to design free hardware FSF just constantly puts roadblocks in my way that prevent me from fully focusing on the development..

 > They need to screw into the fan/lamp fixture on the ceiling. -- RMS

FreeCAD will help you design the socket, should take max 2 min, but the provided chasis on thingiverse already has the mounting solution included and there are so many designs that i think that you will find the one that fits your usecase.

 > In addition, they may need a special circuit for dimming. -- RMS
> That fixture has a switch which was built old-fashioned bulbs, which you could dim just by reducing the voltage.  These dimmable bulbs have to respond to that signal somehow. -- RMS

If I understand one method, a potentiometer is looked up to +v gnd and one of the Analogue in pins, this then gives a scale from I think 0-1024 wwhich can then be mapped to the led brightness.

Pulse with modulation from the mood lamp project allows for different brightnesses of a tri color LED, So i am guessing there is a way to just control a single pin brightness that way.

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/wieselly/arduino-tutorial-using-potentiometer-control-led-light-0dbbd1

May do it

Paul