Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 13:56:26 +0000

> But we will to state the range to which the stand applies. For instance, I have some dimmable LED bulbs.  They have some nontrivial circuit.  I have various DC power adapters.  They have nontrivial circuits.  I have digital clocks.  I have a microwave oven.  I have telephones to use with my landline. -- RMS

_Dimmable LED Bulbs:_ This is a practice project for arduino providing source code, schematics and elaborated documentation on https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/NIKHIL1916/led-dimming-circuit-8d6c9e

It's released under GPlv3+ You can fork it and adjust it to do your computing as you wish e.g. adding bluetooth or wifi connection for Internet of Things with some example projects provided with the article.

Thingiverse also has a lot of cool lamp designs such as this artichoke lamp https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1015178 that are compatible with this project that you might like https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=light+bulb&type=things&sort=relevant (note that you can use arduino pico)

So i would say that <25 EUR/USD in materials for the whole project.

_DC Power Adapters:_ This is probably the most designed thing in electrical engineering, depending on your usecase i found https://github.com/dc-power-supply/dc-power-supply.

The material cost could be anywhere from 0.42 EUR/USD and up.

_Digital Clock:_ I want to highlight here that not everything has to be electrical such as this digital sundial https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1068443

Material cost is 0.39 EUR/USD on my 3D printer.

_Microwave oven:_ The microwave is a very simple circuit (basically power rectifier connected to a coil) so i think that any average kicad user can create one from scratch, but i can't in clear mind share relevant files here as too many people such end up like this guy https://vid.puffyan.us/watch?v=FIU8WZR9DNA (what he's doing is very very stupid and life endangering) as you need to understand the dangers around working with microwave as without it you will hurt yourself[https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4440565/] and/or fry wifi receivers in your area.

If you still want to build a microwave then search for them on the web or alternatively i found an article how to convert any microwave oven into a linux-enabled https://lwn.net/Articles/674877 with article on how to make one from scratch.

The material cost is <35 EUR/USD (including sheet metal) assuming that you can find the coil on a local scrapyard (very common scrap part) otherwise you can make one yourself for <3 EUR/USD.

Is this sufficient as encouraging or what do you suggest we do to convert this effort from what you see as pushing?

>Such products are not available with free designs, or even with nonfree top-level schematics.  Would you suggest we all stop using them until they do? -- RMS

In relevant European politics we use the philosophy of using the most optimal solution for the task so adapting it into this situation: Technoliberal projects are clearly superior to non-free as they are significantly more functional and reusable which always makes them a better option in terms of citizen empowerement, ecology, economy and privacy as such they should always be preferred if they are sufficient or better solution to other alternatives and citizens should be informed about the reasoning to make an informed decisions.

So in this context i am not against the use of non-free hardware by the general public as long as they are no ethical considerations (e.g. spyware) and as long as that is the only solution e.g. for innovative projects that depend on economy to fund the development, but even that i personally avoid non-free at all cost even if they are better solution as i can't change them easily and they usually are prone to breaking and very difficult to repair.

I argue that pinephone should be avoided at all cost as it has a built-in spyware and backdoor[https://www.pine64.org/2020/01/24/setting-the-record-straight-pinephone-misconceptions/].

> It would be good to be able to fabricate our own chips, Perhaps in the mean time we can come up with a subset of devices that exist now, so we can get behind them. -- Sutton

I am not against using rockchips and i think that projects alike are important for hardware freedom as they strip the built-in malware from an arm architecture and liberate it.

> we would need a major education shift to being reprogrammed with the maker (or more hacker) mindset,  we are rebuilding that, just slowly.  -- Sutton

I am not hardware engineer i learned everything myself as the information needed is widely available and there are numerous communities that will guide you in your projects.

I do agree that the education system in the US and EU should be reworked to include topics from 21st century though.

--
Jacob Hrbek