Re: RE : Ideas to promote making and using free hardware designs (was Re

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: RE : Ideas to promote making and using free hardware designs (was Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:54:14 +0300

* Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> [2022-01-21 18:22]:
> I am strictly against paying for freedom,

Never in the history of mankind freedom was every free of charge.

We all pay for freedom, and we never get it. And if anyting is worth,
it is worth paying for freedom.

> but i am not against limiting freedom until the development is paid

WTF? Am I on the wrong mailing list or you?

> assuming that the freedom to study and improve is not violated
> (freedom to redistribute can require fee for commercial use)

If you require fee for commercial use that is not free software by
definition, thus also outside of the scope of subjects on this mailing
list. Feel free to exchange though.

> and the party is mandated to be transparent about their financing
> and license enforces that "when the development cost is paid then
> this license automatically removes all restrictions on use and
> redistribute" (would be a great if GPLv4 had this clause).

Well, it will never be. But keep dreaming.

> That said I would like to highlight the case of Purism with Librem 5
> which allegedly does this approach,

I did not see they do that approach, maybe you misunderstood
something. I find Purism and their hardware some of best attempts to
come to free software with free hardware in the world. So their
project is just to be supported. They are smaller company, unlike IBM
or other hardware companies, and their products will cost rather more
than less. That is quite understandable. Try to make computer yourself
and you will understand.

> but they are not transparent

My impression is quite contrary, they are so much transparent.

> and are likely abusing their trust by constantly hiring new people
> to claim that the development cost increased to infinity which is
> terrible for user freedom.

That is generalization, I cannot say I condone that neither I agree to
that. I do not see problem with user freedom in Purism. Can you be
more specific?

Then also if you wish to tell something to Purism, why don't you tell
it specific to them?

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman