General User Interface Question

From: Yasuaki Kudo
Subject: General User Interface Question
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:33:32 +0900

Hello!

I have been flabbergasted to see how the computer User Interface has evolved or
devolved.   After being laid off by a bank many years ago, my hands have been
forced to work for a small software contractor 😅 and man, I have seen
gazillions of do-it-all-over-again User Interfaces.

Back 20, 30 years ago, I thought this was already a done area (especially for
corporations that generally don't care paying Microsoft license fees - it's
peanut for them) with things like Win32, MFC, etc.

And as I spent so many years at a bank, I had no idea that in the world at
large, the web-based user interfaces are in all the rage and they are so
incomplete and immature.

Still shellshocked, I have this simple question - what is the honest status of
the user interface world?   Many people I know have almost snobbish attitudes
toward it, like the whole area being beneath them 😅😅.

Is there any genuine community effort to get this back on track (or maybe it
never was, being dominated by proprietary vendors)?

-Yasu