Re: Software Freedom in education (was Re: very specific project proposa

From: Lars Noodén
Subject: Re: Software Freedom in education (was Re: very specific project proposal Re: What does Elon Musk say about free software?)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 22:20:54 +0300

On 5/13/22 21:05, Erica Frank wrote:
[snip]
And if they ask on Stack Exchange or Stack Overflow, newbie
> questions are
often faced with reactions like "question closed" followed by a link
to another question that they do not understand as similar to
theirs. The reactions to complaints about this are usually "We're
not hostile; we just don't want to waste time. Learn to ask better
questions."
[snip]

And who owns and staffs those sites, and what is their policy on Free
Software?   Hearsay is that is is Prosus N V which is part of Naspers
Limited.  Further, it is alleged to be written using only Redmond's
tools, which belies the attitude of at least the original staff who
would be integral in establishing a culture there.

Reddit, to name another trap, is owned by Conde Nast which is quite
hostile to it and many moderators who seem to act like their mission is
to stamp it out.  Dragging up ancient history, although Slashdot was not
a help site it was a forum for FOSS news due to it reflecting the
zeitgeist at the turn of the century.  Changing owners put an end to that.

/Lars

PS. Thank you in advance for not top-posting.