Re: Question of Aiding and Abetting Proprietary (or non-free) Software i

From: Yasuaki Kudo
Subject: Re: Question of Aiding and Abetting Proprietary (or non-free) Software in GNU projects
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 18:10:24 +0900

Hi Andrew!

> Can you elaborate on what technical knowhow is related to nonfree
> software in Guix?

Oh this is quite simple -
When someone installs a Guix OS, there is a high chance that vital components
of the computer won't work (unless "work" includes severely hampered
performance)

And the chances are, all one needs to do to obtain the hardware manufacture's
native performance is do is to use the regular Linux kernel package, with none
the "de-blobbing" of LinuxLibre.  (Aside from asking the manufacturer to
provide the Free Software-based compilation mechanism for the required BLOB,
something that may take many years, or forever)

To use the regular Linux, all that's needed is to tweak the configuration of
the Guix system.   When people new to the system post questions along this
line, on the Guix Help mailing list, the typical response is either via a
direct personal email or some suggestions, short of the direct answer.

When, out of frustration, one directly answers, he is greeted with notices
around this being a GNU mailing list and such matters are not to be discussed.

The contradiction I see is that:

* Emacs runs on Windows.  Instructions and reasons are stated clearly (as you
quoted)

* Guix OS technically runs on Linux (not just LibreLinux).   However, it is not
"advertised" (the verb seemingly preferred by the community) and even the
discussion thereof is shunned.

So I am still left wondering 😅

-Yasu