Re: [libunwind] libunwind versus ecc's libunwind

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] libunwind versus ecc's libunwind
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:24:51 -0800

"http://www.hpl.hp.com/hosted/linux/mail-archives/libunwind/2003-December/000133.html";
  Johan> says: "thanks to the addition of the _Unwind_*() routines,
  Johan> libunwind can now be used as plug-in replacements for other
  Johan> unwind libraries, such as the libunwind.so shipped with the
  Johan> Intel compilers."

  Johan> Has anybody attempted replacing Intel's libunwind with this
  Johan> one?  How much was this tested?  Any problems?

The only test I did was to do LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libunwind-ia64.so
and then run an Intel C++ app which raised an exception.  That worked
fine.  I also ran it with debugging enabled (UNW_DEBUG_LEVEL=xxx) to
make sure the app really was picking up libunwind (and it did).

I did send a mail to the Intel compiler group and asked them if they
may want to consider switching to libunwind in the interests of
improving consistency and interoperability.