Re: [libunwind] core file unwinding?

From: Mike Bennett
Subject: Re: [libunwind] core file unwinding?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:45:35 -0800

David Mosberger wrote:

 Mike> My next step was to build an implementation of a corefile
 Mike> reader using the libunwind-ptrace.h style, but I thought I'd
 Mike> ask to see if I've overlooked something before starting.

That's probably not the right way to go.  The right approach is to use
unw_create_addr_space() and to provide access_mem/access_{fp,}reg
callbacks which read the core-file.
Ah, sorry if I wasn't clear.

I just meant I'd use the implementation's *style*: that is, making a
header file that contains a unw_accessor_t object and something
similar to _UPT_create(pid) to create a core file reader backend,
*not* to actually use the ptrace implementation.

I might need some external callbacks in the corefile reader
as well to make it a bit more platform independent, but I'm
not quite sure what those look like, yet.

It sure would be nice to have a libunwind-core so folks like yourself
don't have to constantly reinvent the wheel.  I'm willing to answer
questions but I'm afraid I'm too busy with other things at the moment
to do this myself.
I'll build things with an eye towards contributing it back. When I
get it working I'll let you know.

thanks!
 -mike