Re: [libunwind] libunwind on x86_64

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] libunwind on x86_64
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:54:03 -0700

  Johan> David Mosberger wrote:

  >> I'd like to do it eventually, but at the moment, getting
  >> libunwind into the Linux kernel is a higher-priority item for me.

  Johan> What are the plans for getting libunwind into the kernel?
  Johan> Can I read about that anywhere?

I posted a preliminary patch to the linux-ia64 mailing list on May 21st:

 http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/linux-ia64/0505/14166.html

  Johan> And why not trying to get it bundled with glibc rather than
  Johan> the kernel?

This is not about bundling the user-level libunwind with the kernel,
it's about using libunwind _inside_ the Linux kernel.  The goal is to
have a single source-code base for all unwinding-needs.  This will
greatly simplify testing and ensure consistent behavior across all
"applications" (including inside the kernel).

The user-level libunwind will remain a separate package from glibc
partly since the glibc maintainers refuse to add any new libraries (I
can't really blame them for that: glibc is probably too big as it is).
It is up to the Linux distributors to integrate libunwind.  This has
already happened for SuSE, Debian, and Red Hat (I'm not 100% about the
Red Hat), so I hope there won't be any issues anymore further down the
road (both the API and ABIs should be quite stable; at least as far as
ia64 is concerned).