Re: [libunwind] Unwind information caching for x86-64

From: Nathan Froyd
Subject: Re: [libunwind] Unwind information caching for x86-64
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:32:26 -0600

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:46:01PM -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:
> This patch series should apply cleanly to 0.98.5 + bk patch. After the
> patches, I get:

This is great!  Thanks so much for doing this.

On a related note, people who are interested in using libunwind on
DWARF platforms may be interested in a patch that we recently sent to
GCC to enable DWARF2 unwind information generation for procedure
epilogues.  This change enables libunwind to unwind from any point during
a function's execution, which we use for a timer-based call stack profiler
that includes edge count information.  Nothing is particularly sacred
about using a timer for driving profiles; one could use hardware
performance counters or profile calls to (e.g.) malloc and free.  And all
this can be done without modifying the (optimized) binary.  We're hoping
that our changes get approved for GCC mainline and we plan on releasing
the profiler "soon" (have to talk with the office of technology transfer
here at Rice).

For more details about our patch, see:

Nathan | From Man's effeminate slackness it begins.  --Paradise Lost

The last good thing written in C was Franz Schubert's Symphony Number 9.
                                               --Erwin Dieterich