[libunwind] walking the callstack on an x86 machine

From: Alex Shye
Subject: [libunwind] walking the callstack on an x86 machine
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:00:43 -0400

Hi everyone,

I have been looking around for information on how to accurately and efficiently walk the call stack on an x86 machine and figured it would probably be helpful just to ask for some help on this mailing list.

x86 variable length ISA, as well as programs compiled without frame pointers present problems to stack walking.  I assumed that there may be some papers on techniques for stack walking and tradeoffs as far as accuracy of stack walking and overhead of performing the stack walk.  However, when googling, I have not found much besides this website which has been helpful:

http://help.madshi.net/TraceMethods.htm

Does anyone else know of other resources on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--alexshye