Re: [Libunwind-devel] Remote unwinding only?

From: Ken Werner
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Remote unwinding only?
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:47:49 +0200

On 09/14/2011 08:02 PM, Arun Sharma wrote:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Ken Werner<address@hidden>  wrote:
Hi there,

Do we support building libunwind with support for remote unwinding only (in
case host == target)? The code has an UNW_REMOTE_ONLY path but I didn't find
a configure option that enables the define. As a workaround I could compile
libunwind with CFLAGS="-DUNW_REMOTE_ONLY", but maybe I'm missing something.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

What's your objective here? Minimize the library foot print by not
compiling in local unwind support?

Exactly. I've ported libunwind to work on Android and hacked the debuggerd to make use of libunwind-ptrace to dump stack traces. The other reason I wanted a libunwind with remote unwinding capabilities only is that bionic (Androids libc) doesn't support dl_iterate_phdr which would be essential for local unwinding.

Regards
Ken