[Libunwind-devel] unw_get_proc_name fails randomly

From: Hui Zhang
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] unw_get_proc_name fails randomly
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 21:33:01 -0400

Hello,

I asked this question before but did not get any replies. I want to try again since it's really bothering me.

Here's the problem:

I'm using libunwind to walk the stack periodically during an execution, every time I walk the stack, I print out the name of the frame and the IP register value. Here's the weird thing:
unw_get_proc_name sometimes cannot give me the name to the frame while other times it does give the correct name with the exactly same IP value.
E.g. two exactly same call stacks(same IP value on each frame). One gives name for each frame within it, but the other is missing names for some frames. Why ?

Any ideas why this is happening ?
Thanks a lot !

--
Best regards