Re: Issue 5568: make build output terse by default (issue 557080043 by a

From: nine . fierce . ballads
Subject: Re: Issue 5568: make build output terse by default (issue 557080043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2019 07:19:29 -0700

On 2019/10/05 13:44:54, lemzwerg wrote:
We are getting nearer, thanks :-)

What about using `$$@` (or something like that to delay expansion) in
the
definition of `ly_progress` and omitting `Making` as an argument, too?
 This
would give

   $(call ly_progress,<comment>)

Too rigid.  You previously expressed a desire to see something like

    CC      foo.o

And that is not a bad idea, but is one that I view as less
valuable than other things I could work on.  To achieve that, the
process/tool needs to remain an argument of ly_progress.

There is also a question of whether it ever makes sense to
announce progress at intermediate points in a multi-command
recipe, and I think it might, even though I haven't done it
anywhere in this contribution.  To support that, the target needs
to remain an argument of ly_progress.

Also, there might be cases where $@ is not the most salient thing
to log in the progress message.  I'm thinking of cases like
timestamp files and phony targets.  There might be some of these
in the current contribution, but I did not want to spend time
polishing to that extent.

https://codereview.appspot.com/557080043/