Re: gub targets + binary packages

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: gub targets + binary packages
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 21:10:34 +0200

Am Montag, den 07.10.2019, 17:51 +0000 schrieb Carl Sorensen:

> On 10/7/19, 11:27 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Jonas Hahnfeld via
> lilypond-devel" <
> lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden
>  on behalf of
> address@hidden
> > wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     lately I've been playing with gub, partly to get python3 packaged. Upon
>     inspection, it seems some targets are broken and some are ... a bit
>     out-of-date:
>
>     darwin-ppc: Support for applications targeting PowerPC was removed in
>     Darwin 11.0 / Mac OS X 10.7, released in 2011.
>
> That doesn't mean there aren’t people using PowerPC macs.  I don't think
> there is a reason to eliminate this target.

If my search skills are right, the last model with a PowerPC processor
was the Power Mac G5, with the latest revision released in late 2005.
That's almost 14 years ago (on October 19, if Wikipedia is correct).

What do you think would be a reasonable time frame to eliminate support
for old hardware? From my perspective, it's always a trade-off between
developer time and supporting users.