Re: macOS 64-bit

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:21:02 +0200 (CEST)

> Not directly related, but a consideration this comment reminded me
> of: to make these dylibs as portable as possible they must be built
> using as early of an sdk as possible.  While we could choose to
> simply start supporting 64-bit at 10.15 (Catalina) and instruct
> users on 10.14 and below to use the x86 build, this would prevent
> users of earlier versions from reaping the benefits of the 64-bit
> build, namely the RAM limits.  As such, a better build system might
> be OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) as this is the first version with a
> 64-but kernel and would allow any user who has updated since 2012 to
> run the application.

I have a 64bit Mac OS 10.7.5 machine at home; theoretically, this
should do the compilation job too, right?  Note, however, that I don't
use this machine except for testing software (mostly the
`lilypond-devel' bundle from MacPorts).  In particular, I have zero
experience with Mac programming...

    Werner