can't update makeinfo from 5.1

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: can't update makeinfo from 5.1
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 15:37:36 -0500

Hi all,

I've been out of the loop for a while, and recently decided to finish
work on a patch I had put off.  When I run configure, an error is
returned saying that makeinfo is too old (5,2).  When I run sudo
apt-get install texinfo, I'm told that I have the latest version.
makeinfo --version still returns 5.2.

I realize that there is a thread devoted to this topic.  However, I
find that I will need a little more guidance.

In ~/,bashrc, I find

# This is useful when installing the LilyPond binary
if [ -d $HOME/bin ]; then
    export PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

Is this what needs altering?

Thanks, and sorry for what must be a basic question....

Best,
David