Re: Introduce breakingRehearsalMarks for line-breaking RehearsalMarks (i

From: nine . fierce . ballads
Subject: Re: Introduce breakingRehearsalMarks for line-breaking RehearsalMarks (issue 577180043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 17:29:27 -0800

Harm,

With respect, I'm far from convinced that this is a good idea, but I
will continue to think about it.  Thoughts so far:

* The user provides music for the appearance of the mark at the
  beginning or end of a line, but can he control what happens in the
  middle?  They seem to stack vertically.  What if the user would
  prefer them to be side by side?

* The regression tests cover only line breaks.  The unbroken
  appearance is not covered.

* I am concerned about the complexity of this function as it deals
  with mark sequence numbers.  I'm skeptical that it's a fair trade
  for what it offers.

* I struggle with the semantics of using one event and grob to do
  double duty, e.g. as both a fermata and a rehearsal mark.  One of my
  stale experiments is a performer that inserts rehearsal marks into
  MIDI files.  I don't relish the thought of trying to extract a
  MIDI-compatible rehearsal letter/number from such a mishmash.

https://codereview.appspot.com/577180043/