Re: GSoC 2020: Shape-note notehead encoding

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020: Shape-note notehead encoding
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 13:16:18 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>> Heartland Hymns, 2005 (PDF attached. Yes, Fraktur in 2005. The
>> German-speaking Mennonite communities were in the USA since 1710 or
>> so and didn't get the memo that Antiqua has won. The remaining
>> German speakers are stuck HARD on Fraktur.)
>> <https://www.amazon.com/dp/1897080050>
>
> And they do it correctly!  Both in Austria and Germany most people no
> longer know when to use the long s ('ſ') if typing stuff in Fraktur to
> give something an old-fashioned look.

Yeah, makes me want to forbid the use of Fraktur by anybody who is not
certified to be able to read a Rechtschreibduden (which contains the
rules unless they have given up in the mean time).  I cannot count the
times I got annoyed at seeing what amounts to the equivalent of
Gas-thaus or even Gas-ts-tube.  Or His-toris-che Weins-tube.  One case
where unfortunately someone who does not know history is not bound to
repeat it.

--
David Kastrup