Re: branching stable/2.22?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: branching stable/2.22?
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 17:02:33 +0200

Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> writes:

>> > My feeling is that we should prioritize on bug fixes, but not actively
>> > block the development of features.
>>
>> Right - but we should refrain from changes that will make the
>> backporting process more difficult, so it is still a freeze of sorts.
>
> So what do we do here?
> 0) Do nothing and continue to break things
> 1) Prioritize fixes over features

The breakage we currently get was not because of features.  Mainly it
was because of overhauling code base and build system.  There is very
little payoff for the end user, apart from moderate performance
improvements.  And of course a higher likelihood that their distribution
will not discontinue distribution of LilyPond.

> 2) Agree on some sort of freeze
> 3) Branch off stable/2.22 and cherry-pick only fixes

I think that "some sort of freeze" makes sense only in light of defining
goals to achieve for the next stable release.  As long as those goals
still necessitate disruptive/extensive changes, there is not much of a
point in branching.

--
David Kastrup