Re: font problems

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: font problems
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 08:56:27 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 06.09.2020, 22:02 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> > Am Sonntag, den 06.09.2020, 17:52 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> >> To make good doc builds of LilyPond it would be important IMHO to
> >> have all necessary fonts included in the docker images.
> >
> > Are these really important to ensure that the documentation is
> > buildable?
>
> No, but I consider it really bad practice to rely on non-deterministic
> data.  A long-term goal is to have repeatable builds that produce
> identical results every time (maybe except some well-defined
> differences).

We're talking about different objectives here: CI is concerned *that*
something can be built, but the *what* is discarded on success. Thus
the installation of fonts doesn't matter at all as long as it builds.
Moreover, things are deterministic because the container image contains
the whole OS tree, and nothing from the outside spills to the build
process.

> > The result is used nowhere (except for failure logs), and the image
> > is as small as possible on purpose.
>
> It's not clear what you mean with the last comment, please elaborate.

CI building on shared runners starts with pulling the image. Right now,
this takes around 30-40 seconds. As this is limited in download size
and decompression, I'd expect the time to increase linearly.
Moreover, the images take up space on our private runners (so that they
don't have to pull every time). So everything added but not needed for
building is just wasting storage.

> Some problematic cases that I listed are part of the NR, and I see
> absolutely no reason to have doc builds on different system use
> different fonts.

That's an entirely different problem and has nothing to do with Docker
and GitLab CI, which you used as the motivation.

Jonas