Re: Would like to develop

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Would like to develop
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 10:44:51 -0500

On Dec 31, 2020, at 10:23, Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 4:05 PM Juan Lucas Rey <juanlucasrey@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am currently an Engineer working regularly with C++17 at Bloomberg, and
>> would like to be a contributor to lilypond. In particular I would like to
>> take as first objective to make it compatible with 64 bit compilation.
>>
>> Is this an objective that is desirable by the rest of the team? Was it
>> attempted before?
>

> I think LilyPond already works well on 64-bit architectures. (I'm using it
> on a x86_64 laptop currently). What makes you think it needs more work?

Juan,

What Han-Wen means is, "What makes you think it needs more work _in that area_?"

It obviously needs work in general:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues

Contributions are welcome, and it was proper to ask on this list before
starting up, because some of us have momentum in certain areas.

I assume that since you are asking about 64-bit compilation, you haven't gotten
the source and tried to build it yet.  Have you seen the Contributor's Guide at
http://lilypond.org/development.html ?
—
Dan