Re: Would like to develop

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Would like to develop
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 16:51:51 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 4:05 PM Juan Lucas Rey <juanlucasrey@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am currently an Engineer working regularly with C++17 at Bloomberg, and
>> would like to be a contributor to lilypond. In particular I would like to
>> take as first objective to make it compatible with 64 bit compilation.
>>
>> Is this an objective that is desirable by the rest of the team? Was it
>> attempted before?
>

> I think LilyPond already works well on 64-bit architectures. (I'm using it
> on a x86_64 laptop currently). What makes you think it needs more
> work?

His headers show "X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.3608.120.23.2.4)" so this is
likely a guess regarding the lack of availability of a 64-bit MacOSX
version from the main site.

Unfortunately, that's rather an Apple licensing issue.  Addressing it
would likely require moving the MacOSX compilation environment on GUB
<https://lilypond.org/gub> from Apple's proprietary SDKs (which don't
have anything allowing cross-compilation for 64bit systems) to a form of
free Darwin-only.  Certainly a worthwhile goal but probably quite
different from what the OP thinks the problem is here.

--
David Kastrup