Re: Stacked extensions in harmonics

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Stacked extensions in harmonics
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 15:39:38 -0800

On 2021-03-01 3:05 pm, Valentin Petzel wrote:
Yes. That was a deliberate decision, because I thought maybe it’s better that way. We simply need to change change #:general-align Y 0 to #:general-align Y
-1 in line 462 for the behaviour shown in the example.

Ah, I can see how your default makes more sense. I guess I imagined some form of "centered but not to extend below the original baseline". That's trickier to define, so I think simpler code is preferable here. And keeping the entire chord name as compact as possible improves sight-reading, even if there might be the occasional vertical offset. At the very least, the baseline is consistent across chords with variable alterations.

Control over the parathesis style should be no problem, we can for example have a settable property that specifies any kind of markup function that is
used for this stuff.
One problem there: I am using specific tweaks for the parentheses to make them look good that depend on the font size (I scale up thickness and width to the fontsize) and on the number of extensions (the more extension (therefore the higher the parenthesis) there are, the wider the parentheses will become, so
ensure that they have a nice shape).

I wonder if the logic for scaling parenthesis thickness should really be baked into that markup command. I could imagine users of \bracket or \parenthesize might want values to smartly scale. If that work could be refactored there, it would clean up a little bit of the work you've done within the chord names.

-- Aaron Hill