Re: Stacked extensions in harmonics

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Stacked extensions in harmonics
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 16:18:25 -0800

On 2021-03-01 3:53 pm, Valentin Petzel wrote:
I wonder if the logic for scaling parenthesis thickness should really be
baked into that markup command.  I could imagine users of \bracket or
\parenthesize might want values to smartly scale. If that work could be refactored there, it would clean up a little bit of the work you've done
within the chord names.

Im sorry, I do not really understand what you try to say. Do you mean it
should be done so or do you mean it shouldn’t?

The work must definitely be done, but this is about separation of concern. Is it the responsibility of your chord naming logic to tweak parens, or should \parenthesize itself be doing the work needed to ensure the resulting parens look good?

Assuming your tweaks are not too specific to chord naming, then moving this work to \parenthesize would mean all general users of the markup command automatically get typographically beautiful parens that smartly scale based on font and content size.

-- Aaron Hill