Re: Test reader speed of Guile 3.0.6

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Test reader speed of Guile 3.0.6
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 23:28:03 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 8:23 AM Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
> <arne_bab@web.de> wrote:
>> there’s a Guile 3.0.6 release planned that includes a rewrite of the
>> reader in Scheme. It has speed in the same order of magnitude as the
>> previous reader but might have different performance characteristics.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, lilypond uses the reader a lot, so if you have
>> a test-system with lilypond on Guile 3, could you test how running
>> lilypond with the current Guile master from git affects lilypond?
>
> last time I looked, building GUILE 3 from source was truly glacial,
> making this kind of thing annoying to check.

If you build from tarball it is much faster, because it then provides
pre-created bootstrapping files. What’s so slow is creating the initial
optimized reader.

> You say "same order of magnitude". Do you have benchmarks so we know
> what to expect?

The current *average* spead of the reader is roughly 80% of the reader
implemented in C, but with different performance characteristics. I’m
asking here because I want to avoid surprising and avoidable changes
that block Lilypond. I consider Lilypond to be the most important
flagship project of Guile, and I want to do what I can to prevent
unnecessary friction.

Also Lilypond is the one Guile-using project that is actually essential
and irreplaceable for stuff I do as Hobby (music).

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein