Re: Segmentation fault during `make check'

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault during `make check'
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 20:19:51 +0100

Hi Michael,

Am Montag, dem 15.03.2021 um 12:03 +0100 schrieb Michael Käppler:
> Hi all,
> I encountered a segmentation fault that happens sporadically during a
> 'make check' run.
> See https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/683 for some
> context.
>
> It is not reproducable with a specific snippet, but I could reproduce it
> on top of a failed 'make check' run by running the 'lilypond' command that
> failed.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems somehow related to optimization, because the
> identical setup with an unoptimized lilypond binary (compiled in a different
> tree from
> same 'master') does not fail. Pretty hard to track it down...

I'm confused here: Was the initial segmentation fault also on master or
with MR !683 applied?

> I do not know if the stack trace of the optimized binary is useful, but:
>
> #0  0x00007ffff780aa1c in scm_dapply (proc=0x404, arg1=<optimized out>,
> args=0x7fffec751010)
>      at eval.c:4989
> #1  0x0000555555669b84 in
> Engraver::internal_make_grob(scm_unused_struct*, scm_unused_struct*,
> char const*, int, char const*) (this=<optimized out>,
> symbol=0x7ffff2fc4920, cause=cause@entry=0x404, file=0x5555558d2848
> "/home/michael/lilypond/lily/paper-column-engraver.cc", line=73,
> fun=0x5555558d2f28 <Paper_column_engraver::make_columns()::__FUNCTION__>
> "make_columns") at /home/michael/lilypond/lily/engraver.cc:146

This is in the branch of "if (ly_is_procedure (creation_callback))",
which probably means two things:
1. It might be related to the changes in MR !683 because my
understanding is that Graphiz is the only user of ly:set-grob-creation-
callback.
2. Depending on whether you hit the fault when processing
input/regression/graphviz.ly (my understanding is you don't?), the
creation callback is not reset after a session (= an input file) ends.

Jonas