Re: Pango 1.48.3

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Pango 1.48.3
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 19:31:53 +0100

Am Freitag, dem 19.03.2021 um 08:32 +0100 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> Hi all,
>
> for your information and to prevent others from wondering: The bug fix
> release 1.48.3 of Pango breaks LilyPond's processing with multiple
> jobs. See https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/-/issues/542 and
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6105 for more details.
> Arch Linux already has that update (that's how I noticed), so does
> Fedora Rawhide which will be released as Fedora 34 if I understand
> correctly.
>
> I'm not sure yet if there's anything we can do from our side to work
> around this. If so, I'd like to release a 2.22.1 fairly soon after such
> change is merged to master - hangs are not very nice 😞

Well yes, we can work around the hang by calling into Pango later,
after the workers have forked:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/688
However, memory usage is much higher than with 1.48.2 and I suspect
Pango is leaking: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/-/issues/543

If you can, avoid 1.48.3 for now!
Jonas