Re: Clef, key, and time-signature changes

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Clef, key, and time-signature changes
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 23:05:45 -0600

On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 9:34 PM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> >> Time signatures are printed at the beginning of a piece
> >> and whenever the time signature changes.
> >
> > That is true, but incomplete: time signatures are also printed when
> > the time signature hasn't changed -- and it has been that way for
> > years.
>
> Interesting.
>
> > I haven't tested key signatures, but Key_engraver::process_music
> > looks similar.
> >
> > Clefs work differently.
> >
> > Anyone want to weigh in on whether anything should be done about
> > these inconsistencies?  Do they call for editing the documentation?
> > something more radical?
>
> Is there any reason to make the behaviour of time and key signatures
> different to clefs?
>
> I vote for adjusting the code so that it follows the documentation,
> probably by adding `forceTimeSignature` and `forceKeySignature`
> properties, both for orthogonality and a way to retain backward
> compatibility.

 I vote for initially just fixing the code --  use scm_equal_p instead of
scm_is_eq

At that point, we'd be consistent with the documentation.

If there is a use case for 'forceTimeSignature' then I suppose we could
create it, but it seems to me like YAGNI.

I'm not worried about backward compatibility that is inconsistent with the
documentation.

Carl