Re: Clef, key, and time-signature changes

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Clef, key, and time-signature changes
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 09:50:06 +0200

I have sometimes needed to reprint a time signature even if it wasn't
different.

+1

Of course it would be nice to have a consistent behaviour for clef, time signature, key signature. But note that those three entities are conceptually different in that clef / key signature are per-staff while the time signature is (usually) per-score.

I've been wondering for a while now if "forcing a clef" should really be done via a one-time-only context property. Wouldn't it make more sense to control this in a persistent setting (a context property in Timing or Staff, respectively) that controls whether a "\clef XX" gets discarded if the previous clef already was XX? So the behaviour with respect to "redundant" \clef, \key or \time commands could be controlled in \layout { } ?

Lukas