Re: Tempo markings & partcombine

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Tempo markings & partcombine
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 07:23:09 -0700

On 2019-06-10 5:28 am, Michael Seifert wrote:
What I’d like is for the tempo markings to show up (at most) once per
staff in the score, even on combined staves;  but the tempo markings
should show up in each individual part when it’s produced.  Right now,
partcombine leads to both of the “rit.” markings being printed on the
combined staff, despite the fact that only one of them is necessary.
I could remove the “rit.” marking from the one of the sets of “part
notes", but then it won’t show up in when I produce the individual
part.

Surely I can’t be the first person to run into this problem;  what’s
the best practice for this sort of situation?

Not sure if this is "best" practice, but you could always separate the markup from the notes:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

partInotes = { c'1 c'1 }
partIInotes = { e'1 c'1 }
partMarkup = { s1-"rit." s1-"a tempo" }

\score { \new Staff << \partcombine \partInotes \partIInotes \partMarkup >> }
\score { \new Staff << \partInotes \partMarkup >> }
\score { \new Staff << \partIInotes \partMarkup >> }
%%%%

There might be some gotchas with the above approach, so perhaps the better solution would be to use edition-engraver [1].

[1]: https://github.com/openlilylib/edition-engraver

-- Aaron Hill