Re: Horizontal spacing bug?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Horizontal spacing bug?
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 10:34:44 -0700

On 2019-10-03 8:53 am, Andrew Bernard wrote:
Lilypond is
heavily biased to Common Era music, and that's well and good and where it excels, but I think with the amount of contemporary modernist music being written people could be a bit more open to more contemporary techniques.

How standardized is this so-called "modernist" music? I have to confess inexperience with the genre, but it sounds like composers are tackling the challenges of such complex music in potentially very different ways. And that would make it very difficult for LilyPond to support in an official and authoritative manner. At the very least, I can see why there would be a bias toward Common Era music that is more-or-less fixed in stone by this point in time.

One solution would seem to involve increasing the modularity of LilyPond, to enable folks to author their own versions of the underlying systems. In this way, an alternative layout/spacing engine would be able to provide truly strict proportional alignment of grobs given whatever constraints are useful to modern composers. But such added modularity greatly increases the complexities of managing compatibility with other systems. Imagine all of the snippets we have so far and how they might be making assumptions on internal mechanisms.

It might make sense to fork LilyPond and work on replacing components specifically for modern music. In this way, there is no risk to breaking anything in the main distribution. And once the new branch succeeds in meeting the goals of modern composers, then one could consider how best to merge the results into a unified, but more flexible, LilyPond.

-- Aaron Hill