Re: A Voice with Lyrics interspersed with non-lyric melody

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: A Voice with Lyrics interspersed with non-lyric melody
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 11:04:23 +0200

Hi Mike,

I’d recommend using one Voice with all the notes that have lyrics, and one Voice with all those that don’t. Here’s a more minimal (and sillier) mockup:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
withLyrics = \relative c'' {
  \time 3/4
  \markLengthOn
  \mark "Chorus"
  c2.
  \mark "Interlude"
  \mark "Verse I"
  \mark "Interlude"
  \mark "Verse II"
withoutLyrics = \relative {
  s2.
  e''

lyr = \lyricmode {
  chorus
  one
  two
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice = "withLyrics" \withLyrics
      \new Voice \withoutLyrics

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "withLyrics" \lyr

}

Note that both Voices have implied \oneVoice throughout, which is what we want, since there’s no polyphony happening.

Please ask back if you need any explanation, or just search the commands and keywords in the manuals.

Best,
Simon