Re: remove a staff

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: remove a staff
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 00:23:40 +0200

On 09.10.19 13:14, MING TSANG wrote:

Thank you for the answer. I am able to hide every thing except the key signature and bar number.  I can live of bar number but want the key signature hided.

Again: a qualified answer would require you giving an actual _code_ example, else it’s impossible to tell what you are doing that leads to the image. I already sent a link to the instructions on tiny examples, which are _very_ important.

But two hints already:

If you don’t want a staff to be printed, why do you even have a staff in the first place? Both Lyrics and FiguredBass work perfectly well without a staff.

If you want to hide (or omit) something but don’t know the grob name or which context it lives in, the Internal Reference (IR) is your friend. The Learning Manual already explains how to use it in such a case: You want to look at the index of grobs in section 3.1 of this manual <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/index.html>. Find the grob you want to override (both \hide and \omit are internally overrides). Now you have the grob name. If the grob happens to live in Voice (or other bottom contexts), you don’t need to specify the context. Otherwise you need to find out in which context it does live. Follow the link to its page, at the top of that page follow the link to the Engraver that creates the grob, e.g. <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/bar_005fnumber_005fengraver>. Now at the _bottom_ of that page you can read: “Bar_number_engraver is part of the following context(s): Score.” So you need

\omit Score.BarLine

HTH, Simon