Re: Double-underline markup

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Double-underline markup
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 19:24:33 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 19. Oktober 2019 18:54:39 MESZ schrieb Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
>>
>>See attached image (the experimental code used there is not mature yet
>>and thus not posted here, p.e. appropriate y-offset is not coded)
>>
>>The spacing of words looks uneven with default underline.
>>With the experimental code word-space is not affected, but the line
>>extends into this space.
>>
>>Admittedly this is all more obvious with (very) thick lines, which is
>>likely a rare use-case.
>>
>>Anyway, should I accept the uneven spacing or the lines sticking into
>>the space, provided by word-space?
>>
>>I'd very much appreciate opinions
>>

> I'd definitely prefer the "ornament" not changing the
> "substance". I.e. I would let the line protrude into the word space.

That is becoming a bit of an increasing problem: with regard to the
spacing of an element, there are several parameters.  In a continuing
text, there basically is position and escapement, and those we do not
want to change.  But there is also outline and bounding box and those
are important for collision detection also with external elements like
surrounding frames or even crop boxes.  Those should likely not cut away
material.  We may have too few parameters to resolve this problem
gracefully in a manner satisfying all uses of underlined text.

That problem is somewhat independent from that of multiple underlines.

By the way, it's "an under...", not "a under...".  That's not at all
relevant to the problem, merely a distraction for focusing on the
images.

--
David Kastrup