Re: Double-underline markup

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Double-underline markup
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 03:38:37 +0000

On 10/19/19, 3:13 AM, "Thomas Morley" <address@hidden> wrote:

    Am Fr., 18. Okt. 2019 um 19:21 Uhr schrieb Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:

    > Why not add it to lilypond proper?  I think that we would want to be
careful about property names (perhaps with an underline-details property to
minimize namespace pollution), but I think it would make a great addition to
Lilypond.
         Carl: I don't understand your details-suggestion, could you
    explain more detailed?

IIUC, underlined text is a TextScript object.  Adding a "count" property to a
TextScript object would apparently not apply to an underline, but to the
TextScript as a whole.  So if we want to add underline as a property of a
TextScript object instead of an argument to a function call, we would need to
somehow indicate the property applied to the underline.

So adding a property to TextScript (probably via the text-interface)  called
underline-details  that would be an alist (like fret-diagram-details) and could
have properties like thickness, color, count, gap, padding, etc.  Then they
would clearly apply to the underline.  And you could set the defaults exactly
like the current underline properties, so there would be no change to the
existing code, and no convert-ly rule would be required.

I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but it's one way to do it.

Thanks,

Carl