Re: Arpeggio misbehaviour?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Arpeggio misbehaviour?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 11:32:01 +0200

Am Sa., 26. Okt. 2019 um 04:45 Uhr schrieb Federico Sarudiansky
<address@hidden>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm typesetting a work which includes this single measure (here as a MWE) in
> a PianoStaff.
>
> \version "2.19.83"
>
> \score {
>  \new PianoStaff {
>    \set PianoStaff.connectArpeggios = ##t
>    <<
>      \new Staff \with { \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver" } \relative c'' {
> \clef treble \time 6/8 b4. <b, e gis b>8 \arpeggio r r}
>      \new Staff \with { \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver" } {
>        <<
>        \new Voice {  \voiceOne \relative c' {aes4( g8) s4.}}
>        \new Voice {  \voiceTwo \relative c, { \clef bass \time 6/8 f4. <fis
> cis'>8 \arpeggio \oneVoice r r }}
>        >>
>        }
>    >>
>  }
> }
>
> Without tweaking anything, the arpeggio symbol is mispositioned. Is this a
> bug? I'm missing something? What do you think is the best workaround for
> this? I tried overriding Arpeggio.padding and (somewhat more brute-force)
> NoteColumn.X-offset but I feel there is a better solution for this.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> F.

Hi,

it's a weakness, if you'd call it a bug I'd not object...

I think what happens is that the outer Voices have NoteColumns and
AccidentalColumns the inner Voice none of them.
Thus LilyPond seems to think the outer Note/AccidentalColumns can be
placed more left than we would want, disregarding the inner Voice.
(Without the arpeggio, this would be correct.)

As a workaround I'd enter an altered invisible Note in the inner Voice.

\score {
 \new PianoStaff {
   \set PianoStaff.connectArpeggios = ##t
   <<
     \new Staff
       \relative c'' {
           \clef treble \time 6/8 b4. <b, e gis b>8 \arpeggio r r
       }
     \new Staff
     {
       <<
       \new Voice {
           \voiceTwo
           \relative c, {
               \clef bass \time 6/8 f4. <fis cis'>8 \arpeggio \oneVoice r r
       \new Voice {
           \voiceOne
           \relative c' { aes4( g8) \once \hideNotes gis4.\arpeggio } %% <--

Please note I deleted consistings of the "Span_arpeggio_engraver", it
is in PianoStaff per default.

HTH,
  Harm